Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why I blog.

When I first decided to start a blog I was REALLY hesitant to do it because I had talked to a number of people who were very anti-blogging. The basis was that it was considered self-indulgent and a complete waste of time. I never really agreed with that, and since I  have always enjoyed reading about my friends and families life in a way that I would never have seen otherwise, I decided to start journaling small parts of my life through this blog. Besides, I figure you don't HAVE to read it :)
 
I was reading the obituaries today, as I always do, and I was drawn to the Obit about a young mother just a few years younger than me who passed away after a 3 year battle with cancer. I was curious about the type of cancer that she had so I googled her name and found a blog that she and her husband had been keeping chronicling her battle though her illness and finally up to her death. It goes back several months and you kind of take this journey with them through it.
It was a very inspiring blog and I felt the strength of this family and the love and faith in The Savior that they have. I feel so grateful for what I have today because I know that it can all be taken away, if The Lord deems it necessary, at any moment.

I never take for granted that my posts are about the light and simple in my life. I am not good at journaling at all! but I do take tons of pics and video of my family, and I blog (not very well). I hope and pray that all of my "posts" can be about the simple and pleasant but I know that the day may come where I may be sharing a painful journey through my blog or posting an obituary of a loved one. But until that day, if it ever comes, I will continue to be grateful for( and blog about) the joys in my life and maybe just a few of the bumps in the road. 

 

4 comments:

Anon said...

I loved this Erica! You are very inspiring!

Becki Madsen said...

Thanks for your amazing words. Life is so precious and how fun that we do get to journal some of those wonderful and not so wonderful moments for our posterity
and friends to see!

Maryann said...

What a beautiful post!I agree 110%!
Also I would love if you added me to people who can view your blog. =)

Jessica said...

I really enjoyed this post!!! I'm the same way... if I have to sit down and journal it doesn't get done... but if it takes two minutes to type something on the computer it does! Besides that, all our family and friends around the world get to share all the special family memories... I too agree with you 110%!