Sunday, October 19, 2008

Poor Teagan

I decided to write this post while it is fresh on my mind because the reason I became a blogger was because I am terrible at journaling and I want to remember all of our precious moments vividly as soon as they happen. This incident, however was not very precious, in fact it was a nightmare! We just got home from a really great vacation to Maui with Josh's family and I am so grateful that my father-in-law treats us to these fun trips ( I will be be posting more about the trip later) but when I found out that the only flight that we could arrange to come home on was a red-eye to L.A. I got really scared. 
If it had been just Josh and I or Josh, I and the older two it would have been ok but my Teagan does not take a binky and will only take a bottle if the mood suits him.  He is also a finnicky sleeper and needs to be in a crib of some type to fall asleep otherwise he doesn't know what to do with himself and just comes unglued! So when he is in the middle of a tantrum there is nothing to do but let him throw it and hope for the best. At home this is no problem because we can use distraction or a little crib time but on an airplane with passengers who are trying to sleep? Anyway for the first hour and a half of the flight Josh and I shuffled him back and forth to each other while he squirmed and cried (Meanwhile Josh and Maddy are each sitting split up from me, Alex and Sadie). For the next 45 minutes I take my screaming baby into the bathroom and let him play (GROSS!!) so he won't wake up more people and I won't have to see the dirty looks being thrown our way. There was an older couple sitting next to Josh who were really hating their lives. I finally come out of the bathroom to a line of people that suddenly formed and they were all just staring me down and now Teagan has started crying again! I am feeling more helpless than I have ever felt and then a sweet woman asks me if she thought Teagan would let her hold him for a bit. I knew he would freak so I told her thank you but no. She then told me that she had babies who did the same thing on airplanes and not to worry it is OK. So now I just start bawling, I didn't realize how much I needed some compassion just then. I took Teagan to Josh and sat in my seat and just sobbed and said a small prayer for my baby( I knew the only one with a real problem to deal with was him) for a good 10 minutes. Within moments Teagan was asleep and my Sadie woke up uncomfortable and crying but we got her comfy again and she went right back to sleep. Meanwhile Maddy is sleeping on a strange mans shoulder and doesn't even realize it! I don't think he appreciated it very much, I know he was uncomfortable but there was nothing I could do.  But on a positive note, the flight from L.A. was only an hour and twenty min. and both my babies slept soundly! Josh and I... not much at all, but we are hoping for a nap  but not for a while because all four of the kids are wired and running all over the house as we speak! 

5 comments:

Brandon and Carly said...

I feel for you. My dad treats us to trips to Maui, and also likes to book red-eyes! I think they forget what its like to fly with babies! I am happy that you (and Heavenly Father) were able to calm him down! Now you probably need some sleep! ;)

Tamara said...

Oh you poor thing. No one understands like another mother. I've had brother in laws and sister in laws make comments on how my kids are (just like not taking a binky or needing to sleep in a crib) and telling me to suck it up or train them differently...then they had kids of their own, and justice was served. I'm surprised more people didn't offer to help. Prayers are miraculous, aren't they?

Hoffmann Family said...

Oh my Erica. Been there before, it is not fun.

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the account. Now I understand. That's the worst!

Jer and Jules said...

I was so worried that that would happen again, I'm sorry Erika, I'd probably have been crying too. You're such a good mom. I think the plane and airport thing is what I'm most nervous about if we ever have kids, I don't know how you do it!